Search our site...


It is a legal requirement under the Public Health Act that all owners and occupiers have a responsibility to not cause a Public Health Risk by allowing rats and mice to breed on their property. However, there are naturally rats and mice in the general environment and it is Council’s responsibility that if a complaint is lodged to investigate and determine if there is a Public Health Risk.

Vermin proofing around your home

To reduce rats and mice being attracted to your outdoor areas:

  • do not leave pet food out
  • keep chicken coops and bird aviaries clean
  • store pet food in vermin proof containers
  • don’t feed wildlife or other native animals
  • pick up fallen nuts from your trees
  • keep the grass short and the yard tidy with a maintained area around the house
  • trim trees away from rooflines to limit rodent access
  • allow natural predators to keep rodent numbers down

Inside the house rodents are drawn to food. To reduce risk of them being attracted inside your home:

  • store food and leftovers in sealed containers
  • keep your cupboard doors closed
  • use weather strips on external doors to seal gaps
  • repair cracks and crevices in your house that would allow access for vermin
  • place metal gauze over external building pipes to limit access to your house

Traps and baits

The two main ways of getting rid of rats or mice are poison baits and traps, which can be purchased from a hardware store. Place the baits or traps in areas where rodents have been seen.

Make sure you follow the safety instructions on the packet. Ensure baits and traps are kept out of reach of children or pets.

You can also purchase lockable stations and humane traps from some retail outlets. These traps are safer for children and pets than poison baits.

Lodge a Service Request

If you believe rats or mice are breeding on a property, and are causing a public health risk an officer may investigate the site and can provide further advice.

Contact Council to lodge a Service Request on phone (07) 4189 9100 or email