Personal Appearance Services
Personal Appearance Services Licence
Personal Appearance Services (PAS) includes hairdressing, beauty therapy, or skin penetration procedures, such as tattooing, body piercing or any other process by which the skin is penetrated, and in which blood, or other body fluid is an expected result as provided as part of business activity.
The purpose of the Public Health (Infection Control for Personal Appearance Services) Act 2003 is to minimise the risk of infection that may result from the provision of personal appearance services. Under the Act, Council is required to monitor the health standards of operations in such premises.
When you need a licence
As a general guide, a license is needed to conduct higher risk personal appearance services which may involve the release of blood or other bodily fluid.
Examples of higher risk activities that require a license include:
- body piercing (does not include ear and nose piercing with a gun)
- implanting natural or synthetic substances into a person's skin (for example hair or beads)
- scarring or cutting a person's skin using a sharp instrument to make a permanent mark, pattern or design
When no licence is needed
Non-higher risk services that do not need a licence include:
- ear and nose piercing (with a gun)
- beautician services (waxing, nail sculpting/enhancing, electrolysis, application of cosmetics and treatments).
Medical treatments processes that involve penetration of the skin are exempt and do not require a licence. This includes:
- medical practitioners and persons acting under their direction
- dentists and persons acting under their direction
- registered nurses and persons administering injections as part of a required medical treatment
However, you still need to comply with other relevant requirements, including:
- making sure you have planning, plumbing and building approval.
- complying with the Infection Control Guidelines for Personal Appearance Services (document available to view below).
Payment of an application fee is required when you lodge your Personal Appearance Services Licence Application with Council. See Council's current fees and charges here.
How to apply
- Planning approval
Find out if you need planning approval . If you need planning approval, you must obtain it before you can apply for a Personal Appearance Services Licence Application.
For a new licence application you need to provide:
- two copies of all plans drawn to scale 1:100 or 1:200 with elevations and details not more than 1:50
- floor plan showing all fittings, fixtures and equipment
- site plan showing location of site in relationship to surrounding land uses
- all plans not larger than A3 and clearly legible
For more information about fit out requirements for personal appearance services, refer to the fit out guide located under the Guidelines section.
- Infection Control Qualification for employees
The employees who will deliver the high-risk personal appearance services need to complete an Infection Control qualification with an accredited training provider. You need to provide to Council copies of their Statements of Attainment before your licence can be issued.
- Provide evidence of your State Operator Licence and Tattooist Licence
South Burnett Regional Council has a memorandum of understanding with the state government in regards to state legislation for the Tattoo industry. The Queensland State Legislation implemented new requirements for all tattoo businesses and tattooists operating in Queensland. Please refer to the Get a tattoo licence or permit for further details.
Note: Council will not assess your application without evidence of you having first obtained the relevant state permits, namely the State Operator Licence and Tattooist Licence.
- Personal Appearance Services Licence Application
Download and complete the Personal Appearance Services Licence Application found below.
To lodge a hard copy application form you can:
- Visit a Council Customer Service Office and make a payment in person
- Mail the application with a cheque for the correct fee to:
South Burnett Regional Council
PO Box 336
KINGAROY QLD 4610
You will receive an outcome regarding your application in 20 working days.
After approval, you will receive a renewal notice every 12 months.
If you are planning to purchase an existing personal appearance service business or need to demonstrate compliance for an insurance or bank application, you can request an inspection report outlining the current compliance status of the premises/activity.
Complete a Health Search Form and select either Record Search or Special Inspection.
For further information please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer by phoning (07) 4189 9100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queensland Health website also has relevant information about the State legislation and factsheets for personal appearance businesses.
Personal Appearance Services Forms