Search our site...

Livestock Services

Straying Livestock

Any occurrence of straying livestock on roads should be reported to your closest South Burnett Regional Council Customer Service Centre. To assist Officer's in locating any straying stock, please ensure that you provide as much details as possible such as location (including rural property address), number of head, description of stock and if you know or suspect who the owner of the stock may be.

Council's after-hours service allows members of the public to report wandering stock on roadsides. Livestock are removed from roadsides or impounded to ensure roads are safe. Impounded livestock will be held at the most suitable Council facility i.e. Coolabunia Saleyards, Wondai Tick Clearing Yards or Nanango Tick Clearing Yards. To make an after-hours report, please call on (07) 4189 9100.

Impounding Livestock

If you wish to impound stock that have wandered onto private property, please contact Council on phone (07) 4189 9100.

It is the landholders responsibility under Council Local Laws and the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route Management Act 2002) to maintain fences in stock proof condition and prevent stock from wandering at large. A maximum penalty of 400 units applies.

Roadside grazing permits are available for drought-affected farmers

South Burnett’s drought-affected farmers are eligible to apply for a short term roadside grazing permit. The permits can be issued for periods of up to 28 days to provide livestock with an alternative source of feed and can only be renewed only once. This type of permit is specifically available for exceptional circumstances including flood, fire and drought.

South Burnett Regional Council has decided to waive fees for grazing purposes during the current period of financial hardship due to the drought type conditions. This decision will be reviewed in April 2024. 

Cr Scott Henschen said, "A simple application form is available for Roadside Grazing for landowners, allowing them to access areas adjoining their boundaries and sometimes further with consultation between neighbours. This could help landowners not only access short term better grazing but help in the prevention of fires if managed correctly. This permit system could be a valuable tool in the instances of drought and excessive fuel reduction on the road sides."

To obtain a permit, landholders will need to complete an application for a Stock Route Grazing Permit detailing the following information:

  • Number of head and description of herd (sex, age, brand)
  • Public liability insurance details (minimum of $20 million)
  • Property identification codes and lot on plan numbers of where the stock come from
  • The area applying to be grazed. This is usually adjacent to the land owner’s property, however, if it is not we require a letter of non-objection from the adjoining landholder.

Roadsides may only be grazed if a permit has been issued by Council. Applications will be assessed by considering the following;

  • Likely requirements of travelling stock for pasture and water
  • Local stock route network management plan
  • Likelihood that agistment will introduce of spread a declared pest or degrade the land
  • Impacts on road safety

Once the application has been assessed, you will receive a written notice of the decision.

To download an application go to Application for a Stock Route Grazing (Agistment) Permit ( (PDF)

Stock Route Water Facilities

Council manages stock route water facilities for the purpose of travelling stock or watering stock in drought periods. The water is not suitable for human consumption and is not reliable supply.

Water Facilities are available at:

  • Crawford, Bunya Highway