Building Services Building Services

Any building work carried out within the South Burnett Regional Council must be approved, either by Council or by a Private Building Certifier prior to the commencement of work.

Building work includes but is not limited to:

  • Construction of new Buildings
  • Alterations and/or additions to existing buildings, including shop fitouts
  • Demolitions and removals
  • Re stumping
  • Enclosing areas under high-set buildings or enclosing verandahs
  • Garages, carports and garden sheds

More Information on Building Services and Council Building Forms.

Swimming Pools

A swimming pool is defined as a structure that is

  • capable of being filled to a depth of 300mm, or
  • has a volume of more than 2000 litres,
  • or has a filtration system.

All pools require building approval, including in-ground, aboveground and inflatable pools. Please check with Council prior to purchasing a pool of any description. Council will give advice on the type of fencing required, as this varies depending on the proposed pool, and to ensure that boundary setbacks and clearance from sewer lines can be achieved.

Rainwater Tank Installation Requirements

Laws that required the installation of rainwater tanks (or other water supply systems) with new houses and commercial buildings where the property was located in a reticulated town water area were repealed on 1 February 2013. Housing providers and property owners can now choose to voluntarily install a rainwater tank.

Rainwater tanks can only be required to be installed with new houses and/or commercial buildings where a local government has been approved by the Minster to opt-in to the QDC.

More Information on Rainwater Tank Installation Requirements.

Plumbing Services Plumbing Services

All compliance assessable plumbing work carried out within South Burnett Region must be approved by Council.  A Plumbing and Drainage application must be lodged for all work which includes but is not limited to:

  • New Dwellings / Duplex-units
  • Commercial  Development
  • Shop fit outs
  • Relocating Houses into the Region
  • Disconnection of Council Sewer
  • Disconnection of House Hold Treatment Plants (HSTP) and Septic Systems.
  • Swimming Pools (both in-ground & above-ground)

All other regulated plumbing work can be performed under the Form 4 process by a licensed plumber and drainer. The scope of work allowable under the Form 4 Notifiable work process is listed in Schedule 2 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003.

Additionally, Hydraulic Plans are required for some applications lodged for assessment.

It is illegal to do regulated plumbing work without a licence, please check with Council if you are unsure of any detail.

Further information on how to lodge an application is available and Council and State Government Plumbing Forms.

Contact Us via Email Contact Us via Email

Send our Building & Plumbing Team a General Building or Plumbing Enquiry
Please fill in the below form to contact council. Your email will be forwarded through to
This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.