Waste Collection Services
Waste Collection Services
Council provides a mandatory weekly 240L refuse collection service for residents within the Defined Refuse Area. A voluntary refuse collection service is also provided to some rural residential areas within the region. All 240L refuse collection services are currently contracted to JJ Richards & Sons.
Can I receive a waste collection service?
Please contact Council's Environment & Waste team on (07) 4189 9100 to determine if your property is able to receive a weekly 240L waste collection service. Please note that there will be an adjustment to your Rates Notice if you apply for a waste collection service.
The current charge for a weekly 240L waste collection service is listed below:
|Domestic 240L refuse service||$165 per year|
|Commercial 240L refuse service||$243 per year|
Wheelie bins remain the property of Council and JJ Richards & Sons. The bin should not be removed from the property.
What to do on collection day
Your bin must be placed on the kerbside before 6.00am on collection day and must be correctly positioned with the lid opening facing the street. Always check that your bin is not obstructed by vehicles and overhanging trees.
- All bins must be brought to the front of the property and the bin placed adjacent to the kerb and channel
- Where there is no kerb and channel, the bin should be placed in a safe location as close as possible to the verge of the road and be visible to the driver
- Bins must not be placed on the road
- Residential customers are encouraged to place the waste bin out the night before their collection day
- No overhanging branches or obstructions are to be above the bin
- No obstructions are to be within 450mm of the bin e.g. signs posts, power poles or parked cars
- Where a group of bins is to be collected, e.g. flats, the bins should be placed at least 450mm apart
What can't be placed in my bin for collection?
- Residents must NOT place hot ashes or regulated waste (e.g. asbestos) into their bin for collection.
- Vacuum dust, grass clippings, kitty litter, Styrofoam etc. should be placed in a bag before putting these items in the waste bin, so they don't disperse when the bin is emptied.
- Jamming plastic wrapping, cardboard boxes, glass etc. into the base of the bin may result in the bin not emptying completely; partial emptying of the waste bin is not the Council or Contractor's fault
The bin should not be overfilled. Bins weighing over 70kg can not be emptied by the waste collection truck.
Please contact Council's Environment & Waste team on (07) 4189 9100 to determine your wheelie bin collection day.
Please contact Council’s Environment & Waste team on (07) 4189 9100 if your bin has been missed by Council's contractor, JJ Richards & Sons.
Wheelie Bin repairs / replacement
Damaged bins will be repaired or replaced at the discretion of JJ Richards & Sons at no cost to the resident. If your wheelie bin is damaged, please contact Council on (07) 4189 9100 so that a request for repairs can be sent through to the Contractor.
Run In Service
Physical incapacity may prevent some householders from placing their bin on the footpath. An application can be made to allow residents to have their bin serviced from the front of their house (Run-In Service for Infirm Clients). The application must be accompanied by a Doctor's Certificate. A copy of the application form can be found below.
Waste Collection Services Documents