Search our site...

Stock Route Management

Council implements and coordinates feral animal control across the Region.  Many landholders are participating in coordinated wild dog and rabbit control programs including baiting and trapping pests. Landowners are encouraged to contact Council Pest Management staff to;

  1. Report weed outbreaks
  2. Book 1080 batting programs
  3. Hire Cat, Rabbit, Wild Dog or Feral Pig traps

Straying Livestock

Any occurrence of straying livestock on roads should be reported to your closest South Burnett Regional Council Customer Service Centre. To assist Officer's in locating any straying stock, please ensure that you provide as much details as possible such as location (including rural property address), number of head, description of stock and if you know or suspect who the owner of the stock may be.

Impounding Livestock

If you wish to impound stock that have wandered onto private property, please contact Council on phone (07) 4189 9100.

It is the landholders responsibility under Council Local Laws and the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route Management Act 2002) to maintain fences in stock proof condition and prevent stock from wandering at large. A maximum penalty of 400 units applies.

Roadside grazing permits are available for drought-affected farmers

South Burnett’s drought-affected farmers are eligible to apply for a short term roadside grazing permit. The permits can be issued for periods of up to 28 days to provide livestock with an alternative source of feed charged at $1.16 per head per week.

This type of permit is specifically available for exceptional circumstances including flood, fire and drought. The fee of $1.16 per head per week is the minimum charge that Council can apply under the Stock Route Management Act 2002, which is administered by the State Government. Although Council will be assessing applications and facilitating the permitting process, Council does not receive any revenue from the $1.16 charge – as this is a State Government fee - specifically section 187A (1) & (2) of the Stock Route Management Act 2002.

Councillors are currently lobbying the State Government to have the fee waivered, and Council will update further as things progress.

To obtain a permit, landholders will need to complete an application for a Stock Route Grazing Permit detailing the following information:

  • Number of head and description of herd (sex, age, brand)
  • Public liability insurance details (minimum of $20 million)
  • Property identification codes and lot on plan numbers of where the stock come from
  • The area applying to be grazed. This is usually adjacent to the land owner’s property, however, if it is not we require a letter of non-objection from the adjoining landholder.

Roadsides may only be grazed if a permit has been issued by Council. Applications will be assessed for safety to road users and other considerations on a case by case basis. Permits are issued dependent on pasture levels and can be renewed upon inspection.

Cr Kathy Duff said “Roadside grazing opens up more land for livestock to feed on during deteriorating drought conditions and we encourage farmers to take advantage of these permits.”

To download an application go to Route Agistment Permit (PDF)