Any building work carried out within the South Burnett Regional Council must be approved, either by Council or by a Private Building Certifier prior to the commencement of work.
Building work includes but is not limited to:
- Construction of new buildings (NB: See our policy on Garden Sheds/Lawn Lockers for some small exception)
- Alterations and/or additions to existing buildings, including shop fitouts
- Demolitions and removals
- Re stumping
- Enclosing areas under high-set buildings or enclosing verandahs
- Garages, carports and garden sheds
Further information on how to lodge an application is available online.
The Queensland Development code defines a swimming pool as a structure that is capable of being filled to a depth of 300mm, or has a volume of more than 2000 litres, or has a filtration system.
All pools require building approval, including in-ground, aboveground and inflatable pools. Please check with Council prior to purchasing a pool of any description. Council will give advice on the type of fencing required, as this varies depending on the proposed pool, and to ensure that boundary setbacks and clearance from sewer lines can be achieved.
- New Dwellings / Duplex-units - including alterations and additions
- Commercial Development - including alterations and additions.
- Shop fit outs
- Relocating Houses into the Region
- Disconnection of Council Sewer
- Disconnection of House Hold Treatment Plants (HSTP) and Septic Systems.
- Swimming Pools (both in-ground & above-ground)
Additionally, Hydraulic Plans are required for some applications lodged for assessment.
Installation of swimming pools require a Plumbing Application when the proposed pool filter requires backwashing to the Council sewer. If the pool is in a non sewered area, a Form 4 is required and a Dual Check Valve is to be fitted by a Licensed Plumber.
Council is required to maintain Service Records for Household Sewerage Treatment Plants (HSTP).
Businesses wishing to discharge trade waste into council's sewer require a "Trade Waste Permit". These are obtained by contacting Council's Water and Wastewater Department on (07) 4189 9100.
The reticulated water supply must be protected from contamination by means of a Backflow Prevention Device.
It is illegal to do regulated plumbing work without a licence, please check with Council if you are unsure of any detail.
Follow the links to find more detailed information, or contact Council's Plumbing Section on (07) 4189 9100.