The subordinate local law might prohibit the lighting of fires, or a particular type of fire, in the open, unless 1 or more of the following conditions is met:
- the fire is contained in an approved incinerator fireplace or similar device;
- the fire is established in a specified way and specified precautions are taken to prevent the spread of fire;
- The fire is lit and extinguished within a specified time.
- A fire which the material to be consumed is 2m x 2m or less (fires exceeding this size are covered under the Fire and Rescue Services Act administered by QFRS and therefore council local laws do not apply).
- For the preparation and cooking of food in an appropriately constructed barbecue.
- Lit for an activity undertaken by the scouts, girl guides or a similar organisation.
Under the Fire and Rescue Services Act, it is an offence to light a fire without first obtaining authorisation by receiving either notification, notice or a permit from the Queensland Fire and Rescue Services. Council cannot issue a permit to burn.
A permit is required when the size of the fire exceeds 2 meters in any direction i.e. 2m high at the height of the fire or 2m long or wide.
For further information regarding restrictions and permits contact Queensland Fire and Rescue Service on 1300 369 003.
Garden waste can be disposed of:
- at a Council waste facility
- as compost or mulch for your garden
Residents should note that all burning is to be conducted in a manner that does not cause a nuisance to other people.
State legislation (Environmental Protection Act 1994) applies to smoke nuisances with Council's Officers delegated to investigate and enforce nuisance provisions. On-the-spot fines may apply.
Lodging a Service Request
Complaints can be made by contacting Council on (07) 4189 9100 or online firstname.lastname@example.org.
When investigating complaints about smoke, ash and fumes, the following criteria need to ascertain:
- the amount of smoke
- how long the smoke is emitted and the smoke's characteristics
- how sensitive the surrounding environment is and the impact of the smoke
- the views of any other neighbours or complainants